Microsoft has launched a new Surface Pro today, and has dropped the number from its name. So technically what should have been the Surface Pro 5, will just be called the Surface Pro.
In fact, the new device looks similar to its predecessor, the Surface Pro 4, something which the Redmond company acknowledged, but also said that it redesigned the new Surface Pro from the inside out. .
The Surface Pro comes in three processor variants, an m3, Core i5 and Core i7, based on the Intel Kabylake series. Of these, the m3 and i5 variants are fanless, ala super quiet. The Core i7 model will come with a fan in it. The laptop has a 12.3-inch PixelSense Display with a resolution of 2736 and 1824, a pixel density of 267 PPI, and a 3:2 aspect ratio.
The Surface Pro runs on Windows 10 Pro Creators Update, and offers up to 13.5 hours of battery life (for video playback), which Microsoft claims is 50% more than a Surface Pro 4 and 35% more battery life than an iPad Pro. Likewise the performance is 2.5 times that of the Surface Pro 3 and 1,7 times of the iPad Pro. The device has rounded edges, which is comfortable to hold when you are using it as a tablet, and has the Alcantara fabric material for the keyboard like the Surface Laptop. The Surface Pro has a new hinge which offers a 165-degree range of motion to lie flat or almost flat, in what Microsoft calls as “Studio Mode”, for writing, sketching, and drawing. The Surface Pro will be available in 3 colours: Platinum, Burgundy, Cobalt Blue with matching type covers sold separately.
Microsoft Surface Pro 2017 Technical Specifications
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
- CPU: Intel 7th Gen Core m3, i5, i7 processor
- Memory: 4GB / 8GB / 16GB RAM
- Storage: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB SSD (Solid State Drive)
- Screen: 12.3" PixelSense Display, 2736 x 1824 pixels, 267 PPI, 3:2 Aspect Ratio, 10 point multi-touch
- Battery life: Up to 13.5 hours (video playback)
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 615 (m3) / Intel HD Graphics 620 (i5) / Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 (i7)
- Security: TPM chip for enterprise security, Windows Hello face sign-in
- Connectivity: 802.11ac Wi-Fi, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0, microSD card reader, Surface Connect, Headset jack, Mini DisplayPort, Cover port
- Front Camera: Windows Hello face sign-in camera, 5.0MP front-facing camera with 1080p HD video
- Rear Camera: 8.0MP rear-facing autofocus camera with 1080p HD video
- Audio: Stereo microphones, Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope
- Dimensions: 11.50 x 7.93 x 0.33 in (292.10 x 201.42 x 8.5 mm)
- Weight: m3: 1.69 lbs (766 g) / i5: 1.73 lbs (786 g) / i7: 1.73 lbs (786 g)
Surface Pro prices:
The Surface Pro prices starts at $799 for the m3 variant, while the i5 starts at $999, and the i7 at $1,599.
- 128 GB / Intel Core m3 / 4GB RAM - $799
- 128 GB / Intel Core i5 / 4GB RAM - $999
- 256 GB / Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM - $1,299
- 256 GB / Intel Core i7 / 8GB RAM - $1,599
- 512 GB / Intel Core i7 / 16GB RAM - $2,199
- 1 TB / Intel Core i7 / 16GB RAM - $2,699
Type Cover prices start at $129, and Surface Pen at $99. You can preorder the Surface Pro now, and the device will begin shipping on June 15th in 25 Countries. (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, the UK and the US.)