Microsoft released the latest version of Security Essential (code named as Morro), A free anti-virus, Antimalware, Antispyware solution for Genuine windows users. If you are a genuine windows user (It have 64 bit and 32 bit releases and supports Windows 7 too).
It i slight on resuorces and have automatic updateof the defenitions.
If you were using beta so far, it is recommended to upgrade the version. Here is the latest version details
Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1611.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.0.6212.0
Engine Version: 1.1.5101.0
Antivirus definitions: 184.108.40.206
Antispyware definitions: 220.127.116.11
Earlier it was only for the users from USA (even softpedia had a download link for all users), while now this is for al.
Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials
Operating System: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7
- For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
- 140 MB of available hard disk space.
- An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Internet Browser:
- Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
- Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. For more information see the system requirements for Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
Read more and download